Section of Logic
- Bo CHEN
- Ph.D, Professor
- Email: email@example.com
- Homepage: https://pku.academia.edu/ChenBo
- Areas of Research:Logic, History of logic and Analytic philosophy.
CHEN Bo, Ph.D, Professor, Department of Philosophy, Peking University, China.
He was a visiting scholar at University of Helsinki, Finland, August 1997-August 1998, invited by Professor Georg Henrik von Wright; a CSCC Fellow at University of Miami, USA, February 2002-February 2003, awarded by the American Council of Learned Societies, the National Academy of Sciences, the Social Science Research Council, invited by Professor Susan Haack; an academic visitor at University of Oxford, UK, August 2007-August 2008, invited by Professor Timothy Williamson; a visiting scholar at Nihon University, Japan, invited by Professor Takashi Iida, the whole year of 2014. In last several years, he organized several international conferences separately on Frege, Quine, Kripke, Williamson, Hintikka, Paradoxes, Truth, Modality, and Philosophical Education & Contemporary Society at Peking University.
His fields of competence and research cover logic and analytic philosophy, especially philosophy of logic, philosophy of language, history of logic, Frege, Russell, Quine, and Kripke. He also does comparative study of Chinese philosophy with Western philosophy. His most important Chinese academic books include Analytic Philosophy: Critique and Construction (two volumes, 2018), Studies in Philosophy of Logic (2004, the revised and enlarged edition, 2013), Studies on Quine’s Philosophy: From Logical and Linguistic Points of View (1998), and Studies on Paradoxes (2014). He has published more than 200 Chinese or English papers.
In 2018, he was elected as one titular member of Institut International de Philosophie (IIP). IIP is founded in 1937, has nowadays more than 60 titular members, which contribute to the blooming of philosophical dialogue across the world. If interested, please visit the website: http://work.opti.ro/iip/EN/members
His Academia page: https://pku.academia.edu/ChenBo
The list of his English publications:
1. CHEN Bo and LIU Jingxian. Hume’s Conceivability Arguments Reconsidered, Axiomethes (A&HCI), 2019, DOI: 10.1007/s10516-019-09422-5
2. Gila Sher and CHEN Bo. Foundational Holism, Substantive Theory of Truth, and a New Philosophy of Logic – Interview with Gila Sher by Chen Bo, Philosophical Forum (A&HCI), Volume 50, Issue.1 (Spring 2019), 3-57.
3. CHEN Bo. Russell and JIN Yuelin on Fact: From the Perspective of Comparative Philosophy, forthcoming in Philosophy East and West (A&HCI), 2019.
4. CHEN Bo. Two Different Approaches to Philosophy: A Critical Reflection on Contemporary Chinese Philosophy, Asian Philosophy (A&HCI), 2018, 28(3): 197-214.
5. CHEN Bo. Wisdescopism and Caplan’s “Against Widescopism”, Philosophical Forum (A&HCI), 2018, 49(2): 245-259.
6. CHEN Bo. Reformulation of Frege’s Theory of Thought, Philosophical Forum (A&HCI), 2017, 48 (2):143-159.
7. CHEN Bo. Against Williamson’s Arguments about Bivalence. Philosophical Forum (A&HCI), Autumn-Winter Issue, 2016.
8. CHEN Bo. Socio-historical Causal Descriptivism: A Hybrid and Alternative Theory of Names. Croatian Journal of Philosophy (A&HCI), Vol. XVI, No. 46, 2016, pp.45-67.
9. CHEN Bo. When a Young Chinese Scholar met von Wright¼, Acta Philosophica Fennica, vol.92 (2016): 9-32.
10. CHEN Bo. Social Constructivism of Language and Meaning, Croatian Journal of Philosophy (A&HCI), vol.XV, No.43 (2015): 87-113.
11. CHEN Bo. Two Important Questions about Hume’s Philosophy, Universitas-Monthly Review of Philosophy and Culture (A&HCI), 2015 (8): 3-24.
12. CHEN Bo. Six Groups of Paradoxes in Ancient China, From the Perspective of Comparative Philosophy, Asian Philosophy (A&HCI), 24 (4) (2014):363-392.
13. CHEN Bo, The Nature of Logical Knowledge, An Unfinished Agenda of Quine’s Philosophy, Philosophical Forum (A&HCI), vol.XLV, no.3 (2014), 217-249.
14. CHEN Bo. Kripke’s Semantic Argument against Descriptivism Revisited, Croatian Journal of Philosophy (A&HCI), Vol. XIII (2013), No. 39, 421-445.
15. CHEN Bo. Kripke’s Epistemic Argument against Descriptivism Reconsidered, Journal of Chinese Philosophy (A&HCI, Blackwell), 40(3–4) (2013): 486–504.
16. CHEN Bo. A Descriptivist Refutation of Kripke’s Modal Argument and of Soames’s Defense, Theoria: A Swedish Journal of Philosophy (A&HCI), 79(3) (2012): 225-260.
17. CHEN Bo. Justification of Induction: Russell and Jin Yuelin. A Comparative Study，History and Philosophy of Logic (A&HCI), 33 (4) (2012): 353-378.
18. CHEN Bo. Proper Names, Contingency A Priori and Necessity A Posteriori, History and Philosophy of Logic (A&HCI), 32 (2) (2011): 119–138.
19. CHEN Bo. An Interview with Timothy Williamson, Theoria: A Swedish Journal of Philosophy (A&HCI), 77 (1) (2011): 4–31.
20. CHEN Bo. Xunzi’s Politicized and Moralized Philosophy of Language, Journal of Chinese Philosophy (A&HCI, Blackwell), 36 (1) (2009): 107-140.
21. XU Zhaoqing & CHEN Bo. Epistemic Logic with Evidence and Relevant Alternatives, forthcoming in the Hintikka volume of ‘Trends in Logic’, Springer, 2017.
22. CHEN Bo. Intellectual Journey: An Interview with Susan Haack, in Cornelis de Wall (ed.), Susan Haack: a Lady of Distinction, the Philosopher Responds to Her Critics, New York: Promethius Books, 2007, 17-37.
23. CHEN Bo and et al. Frege, His Logic and His Philosophy--Interview with Michael Beaney, Journal of the Graduate School of Letters, Hokkaido University, Japan, Vol.5, March 2010: 1-28.
24. CHEN Bo, Refutation of the Semantic Argument against Descriptivism, in ProtoSociology-- an international journal and interdisciplinary project, Vol. 31 Language and Value, 17-38, edited by Yi Jiang and Ernest Lepore, 2014.
25. CHEN Bo. To be philosophical, even if one will not be a professional philosopher: The Aim and Mission of Philosophy Education, Frontier of Philosophy in China, Brill, 2013, 8(2): 247-257.
26. CHEN Bo. The Demystification of Frege’s Theory of Thoughts, Politics and Society, Special Issue of Journal of Central China Normal University, 2013, 1 (1): 85-122.
27. CHEN Bo. Introduction: Philosophizing like Dummett, Frontier of Philosophy in China, 2012, No.3, 347-50.
28. CHEN Bo. The Debate on the Yan–Yi Relation in Chinese Philosophy: Reconstruction and Comments, Frontiers of Philosophy in China, Springer, 2006, 1 (4): 539-560.
29. CHEN Bo. The Epistemic Justification of Deduction, Social Sciences in China, Autumn 2003, 149-157.